Friday, June 12, 2009

Just Another Day

As I sit here at work, waiting to head home for another softball game tonight, I figure I would share some thoughts.

I am on the verge of a new adventure and am still trying to figure out how to go about it. This adventure I speak of is starting my own training business. I recently met with a gentleman who runs a gym in Louisville called Xtra Mile. He explained to me that I was welcomed to train there but it is all on me, I basically just rent the equipment. That means the clients I bring in I have to find. I am excited about this because I will be able to train how I want and not worry about a supervisor telling me specific ways to do things. Plus, it is a start to my ultimate goal. The problem I am running into, however, is marketing. I am unsure of how to really get my name out there and get people to know about me and my training. I have a few ideas but am still worried about recruiting clientele. Just another challenge that I am sure to overcome.

I have been reading up on some functional anatomy the past week. I have been able to read over the hip and shoulder joints thus far. Functional anatomy is very useful in understanding why certain exercises are used and the movement patterns that need to be worked. Along with that, understanding functional anatomy really gives an insight into dysfunction and movement problems or pains that you may come across with a client. I hope to one day thoroughly understand functional anatomy and the movement patterns associated.

There is a blind man that comes into the gym where I work. He just recently joined and I have been able to help him around and work with him some. He is one of the hardest working people I have seen in the gym in a long time and is always willing to try new exercises and learn about each one. I have so much respect for that and I wish others could learn a thing or two from his work ethic. Disability or not, you can still work hard and push towards your goals.

Remember, consistency is key. Whether your a rookie in the gym or a vet, consistency is what makes gains. It's also the little things that can boost you to your goals. Don't overlook and undervalue the small steps. If it's weight loss your after, take the stairs instead of the elevator or park in the last spot at the mall and walk a little further to the door. The extra steps in your day could be just what your body needs. If your trying to get bigger, don't skip out on the mid afternoon snack and don't sacrafice your sleep. Missed meals means missed calories and when your body has been pushed in the gym, it needs the fuel to recover. The small things.

No comments: