Monday, June 28, 2010

Perform Better Chicago

This past weekend was the Perform Better Summit in Chicago. For those who don't know, it is a 3 day event where speakers from all over the country and trainers/coaches from all over the country join to better themselves. I was planning on going last year but failed to make it and I am angry about that after experiencing it this year. I haven't been to a ton of conferences and events, but this is hands down the best one I have been to. The quality of the speakers and the topics of the talks were amazing. Everything was so applicable and it was great to be there listening to the people I look up to. From rehab to business, I learned a lot and am excited to continue to learn more and experiment with what I brought back.

The biggest things I learned are as follows:

I need to learn to ask for money. I have always worked on improving my coaching ability. I read everything I can get my hands on and listen to the best. However, while doing this I tend to avoid the other aspect of the business and that is the business itself. I am always timid to ask my clients for upgrades and take their money. The thing is, I am worth the money they are paying, so why be hesitant to ask for it.

There has to be assessment and that assessment has to be addressed. I am a big believer in assessments and correcting issues that my clients have besides just weight. There is so much one can learn just by observing a couple of different movements of their client. Yet, a lot of times being in such a commercial setting where people come in just caring about weight loss and the sales people promote "kick-ass workouts that will be hard and make you lose weight", I tend to not correct issues as much as I should. I tend to worry about the client thinking I am wasting their time. What we must remember is I am the trainer and there is a purpose behind everything I do, so do it. Fixing issues in posture, stability, and movement will allow for so much more possibility for weight loss and health down the road.

I need to step out on the edge. I have always been a shy, timid guy. From personal life to work life this has been the case. A big theme that ran through the weekend was about stepping out on the edge to be successful. The ones who make it don't let everything come to them. They go out and get it. I have observed this in every field. The most successful people take risks, approach others, and get what they need to succeed without worrying about what might happen. I need to take action to get out of my comfort zone and start making moves, making my name known, and approaching success.

Overall the weekend was amazing and I feel motivated to continue bettering myself and learning. It makes me want to learn everything there is and become one of those guys that everyone looks up to and goes to see speak. I have a new list of books I want to read, some new material to look over, and some new ideas to try out. Can't wait for the next conference I go to.

No comments: