Friday, May 22, 2009

New Life pt. I

For the past couple of weeks I have been involved in an interview process with a program for the Navy. This program, the SHAPE program, is ran by Indiana University and takes place at three Naval bases located in San Diego, Pearl Harbor, and Virginia. The program is a personal training/group fitness deal for individuals in the Navy over the age of 40. It is a way they can get free training, keep themselves in shape, and work towards completing their fitness tests. This is the second year of the program and each site hosts two trainers.

I traveled to IU this past Monday for an interview. I spent the day with two ladies who run the program from their IU offices. Being one of the four finalists for the last few openings I gave them a sample personal training session as well as group exercise "boot camp". I was informed today however that I did not get the position. This is the first job rejection I have experienced in this place known as "the real world". I'm upset that I did not get the job for it was an amazing opportunity but at the same time it is not too big of a deal because I will have plenty of other job opportunities and will one day make my way to the West Coast.

As for now, I will finish my summer out here in Lexington and then make my way back to Louisville in hopes to do some personal training and maybe see if I can't dabble in a few other areas of the field. There is no telling where my life will go from here but what I do know is I will continue to better myself both in the gym as well as out.

No comments: