Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Swagger Check

I hear the word swagger a lot. I hear it in music, on television, from people I come across in my daily journey. The word has quickly become the most commonly used term in hip-hop. I like the idea behind the word, the only thing is I don't think many people know exactly what "swagger" really is. Technically it could mean something different to every person, however, I think there are too many out there who relate "swagger" to social status, monetary wealth, and overall appeal. This is where I start to have a problem.



To me, swagger isn't determined by how much money you have. Swagger is not dependent on how well you can mimic the newest style. Swagger doesn't mean that you walk with a limp resembling one suffering from Polio. Swagger is a state of being. It is doing you and being yourself, knowing that who you are is a privilege.

Self-confidence is the biggest role player in determining one's "swag". I am not saying that walking around with your nose turned up at everyone, treating others as inferior, or not showing respect means that you're "swagtastic". What I am saying is that knowing you have a great worth and believing that you can conquer any challenge placed in front of you is where your true swagger lies. Don't worry about what others think. Don't try to emulate the style of your favorite rapper or listen to certain music because you think it will make you "cool". Be you and carry a confidence about yourself. Walk into a room with your head up and your shoulders back. People will notice and immediately smell that Swagger. Give respect and others will respect you. Work your ass off. Never be complacent. Even though your swagger may be through the roof understand that with true swagger there is no ceiling. Limitless should be your life.

For me, I know what I have and what I can do. I refuse to stop bettering myself. People's heads turn when I enter a room. They know I got my swagger right. I feel that I am the best, yet that is not enough. I want to better and will always strive for perfection.

That is what true swagger is all about. Know what you are capable of, have confidence and arrogance, and you will continue to succeed.

Will Smith has a great swagger. His confidence emanates from his being. He is cocky but never satisfied and that is what I strive to be.

No comments: