Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Strength Comes First

I train for strength. That is my main objective in the gym, to get stronger. People ask me why I train for strength, I'm not an athlete anymore and I don't do powerlifting meets. They say I should train more like a bodybuilder, for aesthetics. Body part splits, high numbers of reps, and pumped muscles. I explain to these people that I would rather be strong and not look strong than look strong and not be able to move a pencil. Strength is more functional, in life as well as in my career. If I am strong I am able to hang with my athlete clients and demonstrate exercises of all genres. If I am not strong then what respect do I deserve from my clients or athletes...NONE. If a friend asks you to come help him/her move and you are strong then you are that much more of a help. If your girl needs you to defend her and you are strong then you are capable of that task. These things are not possible if you are weak, even if you look big. Not too mention after neural adaptations take place and strength is gained through that the next step is increase in muscle size. If the muscle is stronger, it will get bigger. So there is your size gain.

All I'm saying is that if that day comes where your climbing a mountain and a big rock falls on you, you can either BE strong and lift it off, or LOOK strong and die. Your choice...

1 comment:

Rob Sinnott, MS, CSCS said...

excellent post bro. nice video, stay strong!