Tuesday, January 20, 2009

We Should All Be Mad Scientists

Experimentation...a word and thought that most people associate with science. Go into a lab, mix some solutions in a couple different beakers and step back to see the reactions that take place. However, the word is more of an action; An action that should be present in everyone's daily lives.

Most people think that the best way to learn is read books and articles and take notes in class. These are all great ways to achieve knowledge and without these our knowledge will be lacking, but the most promising way to learn is to experiment. Whether it be in the field of exercise, food, or whatever, experiments lead to results and no one can argue those results. Go out and try new things. Try new lifts, new recipes, even new supplements or other types of aids. I myself am constantly experimenting with my life. People always give me a hard time for using supplements and claim that I am wasting money because they probably won't work. True, they may not work but I will never know unless I try them out myself. I love finding new supplements because for me it is a way to learn. I learn what doesn't work, what does work, and how it works. I learn what different things are used for.

When looking at my workouts, I try new set/rep schemes, new exercises, and new methods of prehab/recovery and monitor my body and the progressions I make over a period of time. When it comes to my eating, I try different ways to increase my meals, different types of meals, and different timing on meals. Each way I am keeping an eye on my weight and how it fluctuates. Even small things like today where I was making a smoothie and tried throwing some different items in it. Yea, it's taste wasn't so great but the only way I could know that was to try it.

Try new things and new ways to do old things. But don't just do these different things for a few days and quit. Set a time period, do something new over that period of time, and make notes and observations on the changes that occur. It's like the scientific method states: Develop a hypothesis, create and experiment, gather data, analyze the results and draw a conclusion. This method is used for all scientific experiments and most of the knowledge we have today has come from experimentation. Use this in your daily life to learn and experience what you may read about and who knows, you may come across a groundbreaking find.

Some of your experiments may fail and you may see that as a negative but remember this Micheal Jordan quote, "I have failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed."

No comments: