Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Extreme Times Take Extreme Actions

I usually don't talk about myself on here but I felt that this was a good topic to bring up. Maybe some motivation can be induced by my trials. So as I discussed back in December/January, goals are important to have. I set my own goals back in January and wrote them down so that I was constantly being reminded of what I was set out to do. Now it's March and I have reached my lifting goals early. You know what this means? Time to increase my goals and raise the bar. However, my weight goals are yet to be obtained. I have once again hit a stand-still. I started this journey at about 170...increased to around 177 then sat there for a while. After some more learning and some pushing from my lifting partner I made another jump to 183. That's when I set my goal of 190 before the summer. It's after spring break now and I'm still sitting around 185. I decided it was time to up the ante and try some drastic measures. I had read in an article from a well-educated author and coach that a simple addition to the diet to get an extra 900 calories a day was shots of olive oil. I contemplated it, knew it would be awful, but had to give it a try. Monday is when it went down. After a workout I went back to the office, got my shot glass out, and filled it up. With some friends circled around, using my pain for their amusement, I took it down. Immediate feelings of regret and pain filled my entire body (well, besides my throat. That was filled with oil). Chasing with a bottle of protein didn't help either. After a couple hours of feeling like I was going to die, I decided that shots of olive oil was not going to be doable. Instead I'm going to try tablespoons of peanut butter. You all out there in Internet land may be thinking, "Why don't you just eat more food dumb ass?" Well to answer your question...I eat a ton of food. My normal daily diet pushes 4,000 calories. I just have a extremely high metabolism, not to mention I am constantly active. So to eat more meals is hard for me to do, plus I don't have the money at this point in time to be buying more meals. Therefore I find simple, cheap ways to add calories.

I really wanted to share this with you all because I want to show you that sometimes to reach our goals we must take drastic measures. I want to gain weight so I tried to shoot olive oil. That's a very drastic measure. I see people day in and day out complain about not reaching their goals but instead of complaining they need to ask themselves, "Have I really pushed myself and tried everything I can (in a healthy range) to reach my goal?" It's not always easy so man up and get it done.

No comments: