Friday, March 13, 2009

Learn WHY

Every single day in the gym I see people come in with no plan and no real clue as to what they are doing. They just come into the gym, do a few minutes of one cardio machine, get bored and move on to the next. Once they feel they have exerted "enough" energy they may move on to some machines but more than likely they will go over to the mats and mimic the "ab" exercise of the person next to them. I realize not everyone is a gym rat and knows all about exercises, intensities, volumes, and rest ratios, but there is still no excuse for this type of gym behavior. If you are not truly involved in your gym experience then get the hell out. Don't waste my space and get in my way when you are just in the gym to dick around and then go home and brag to your girlfriend about how your such a stud because you went to the gym today. Chances are she was at the gym as well and was caught multiple times looking MY way. Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Everyone in the gym may have different goals but there is only one purpose; to better yourself. SO DO IT!

Like I said, not everyone knows everything about exercise. But the fact of the matter is, there are a lot of people in the gym that do know. At just about any gym around the country there is usually at least one personal trainer there at all times. Know that just because a person is labeled a personal trainer does not mean they know what they are doing. However, many do know what they are doing and should be willing to help. Ask questions, buy a training session to be shown some new exercises. Ask WHY and not just WHAT or HOW. Learning a new exercise is good and all but if you don't know why you are doing it then you will never be able to go out on your own. If you learn why things are done and why certain movements are used then you will start to understand how to make yourself a plan for the gym that actually has some type of logic. I always try to teach my clients. I explain every aspect of the workout so that they can one day spread their lats and fly. Like the saying says, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

There is no reason or excuse for anyone to go to the gym and skip around just doing whatever they accidentally bump in to. Learn and go into the gym with a purpose. If your not willing to learn then don't let me catch you jerking off on the machine I need to use because unlike you I have a plan and would rather not have to alter that plan for a waste of gym space like yourself. Oh and if you continue to come in with no purpose of being and get in everyone's way then the next time I catch your girl looking at me I might just take her.

1 comment:

ANLAWSON19 said...

Look at you acting like you'll actually do something. Don't make me call Phil.